Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sri Lankan Fish Cutlets

One of my earliest food memories is of eating Sri Lankan fish cutlets when I was a kid.  My family had Sri Lankan friends and I remember going there all the time and the smell of the spices and the food which took over their house was amazing.  It's something I will never forget.  Anyway apart from the amazing smell, I remember the fish cutlets and it is something that I think about often.

Finally I decided that I had to try and make them so I searched the net and found a couple of recipes that I like the sound of and I ended up blending the two.  The result - amazing fish cutlets.  Oh I'm a happy lady.

I could go for having more chili in them but the way I made them was probably good for anyone to eat - perhaps even my little 3 year old.  I'll give her one tomorrow and see what she thinks.

Sri Lankan Fish Cutlets


Ingredients:

1 large tin Tuna (or salmon)
2 medium size potatoes (boiled)
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 green chili, finely chopped
2tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves 
1/2 tsp turmeric
1tsp curry powder
1 lime
breadcrumbs
2 eggs, whisked


Method:

Peel, boil and mash potatoes and set aside.
Heat pan with a little peanut oil and quickly fry the mustard, fennel, cumin seeds and curry leaves until the mustard seeds start popping and the .  Remove from the pan and grind up in mortar and pestle.
Heat about 2tbs peanut oil in the pan and add onion, chili and garlic until soft.  Season with some salt and pepper.
Add spices to the pan along with the drained tuna, turmeric powder, curry powder, the juice from 1 lime and the mashed potato.  Combine well and set aside to cool.
Roll mixture into small balls (bit smaller than a golf ball), make sure they are rolled smoothly as if there are any cracks, they will split apart in the deep fryer.
Coat with the whisked egg and cover in the breadcrumbs before putting into the deep fryer at about 170*C until golden


No comments:

Post a Comment