Friday, March 20, 2015

Caramel Butter Cake

Didn't know what to expect with a butter cake and wasn't actually expecting much.  But with this one I've been pleasantly surprised.  First off, it was super easy to make.  Took about half an hour (maybe even less). Second, it is delicious.

I made this cake while Jen had Portia over for a play so I was making the Caramel Icing and cooking it on the stove when yelling erupts in the lounge.  I leave my icing (thinking I'll only be a second) and I end up laying on the couch being patient for Jen who was the Nurse and Portia who was the Doctor.  Anyway my icing burnt because I forgot all about it.  But I actually didn't mind.  I had tasted the icing just before burning it and didn't like it because it was soooooo ridiculously sweet.  I really didn't enjoy it at all.  So much sugar and just not nice.

Anyway I did plan to give the icing another go later but Jen spied the cake and wanted a slice and I gave in.  Then Jase and I also had a bit and I loved it just as it was.  No icing required.  Nice with a bit of cream and a cup of coffee.

The only thing I might do differently next time round is to try it with some chopped walnuts in it.  Just for a bit of texture - oh listen to me sounding all so cheffy.

Ingredients
125g butter, softened
1tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (220g) brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbs golden syrup
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/5 cup (75g) SR Flour
1 tsp ground cinamon
1/2 cup (125ml) milk

Caramel Icing
1 cup (220g) brown sugar
60g butter
2 tbs milk
3/4 cup (120g) icing sugar
2 tsp milk

Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees.  Grease deep 20 cm round cake pan and line with baking paper.
Beat butter, extract and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs, one at a time; beat in golden syrup.  Transfer mixture to large bown; fold in sifted dry ingredients and milk.  Pour mixture into pan.
Bake cake for about 50 minutes.  Stand cake in pan 5 minutes, turn, top-side up onto wire rack to cool.
Make caramel icing.

Caramel Icing
Stir sugar, butter and milk in small saucepan over heat without boiling until sugar dissolves; bring to the boil.  Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 3 minutes without stirring.  Remove from heat; stir in sifted icing sugar.  Stir in extra milk.




No comments:

Post a Comment